Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /hermes/bosnaweb11a/b2191/ipw.cavejunc/public_html/bboard/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Let's get this forum going...
   Google Site Search

I.V. Community Forum
December 17, 2017, 04:19:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: For those who had problems using the spell checker, it is now working properly again.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's get this forum going...  (Read 9991 times)
cj_joe

« on: March 08, 2005, 03:43:00 AM »

Does anyone in the community have any thoughts about all the Biscuit Logging ruckus?

Has it provided any local jobs...other than overtime for law enforcement?
OregonAunty

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 08:25:45 AM »

I don't know much about it, tell me....  :?

Feed the babies, Who don't have enough to eat
Shoe the children, With no shoes on their feet

~Live Aloha~
cj_joe

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 03:33:16 AM »

There have been 11 people arrested trying to block logging that has begun on Fiddler Mountain.  

The logging units are next to old growth reserves and along the road to Babyfoot lake.  There is a hearing scheduled for March 22 to review the legality of the cut but a judge removed the restraining order and allowed cutting to begin before a determination is made.  

As a person who makes a living from tourists, I see this as an attack on my livlihood.  The TJ Howell Drive, as it is known, was one of the unique botanical offerings of this area.  Now it is a stump field-one less reason to stay in the Illinois Valley.

Proponents say it is bringing jobs, but I ain't seeing it.  The logging companies are out of Roseburg and Portland.  So not only are we losing a resource, we are getting nothing in return.  

Maybe I am wrong...maybe someone in town is going to benefit in the long run from this.  I know I and my business will not.
Monkey Farmer

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 05:08:53 AM »

It's hard to please all sides. I am not opposed to some responsible salvaging of the timber if it will benefit ANY economy in Oregon. I don't understand why, out of a half million acres, they're logging so close to town and Babyfoot. Why not do it way the frick in the middle of nowhere. And don't advertise when you're going to do it. Don't even give the protesters a heads up. By the time they find out, there's already timber falling, then it's an accident if one of them gets squished. I understand the point of view of the environmentalists, but I'm tired of my tax dollars being spent on dragging their non tax paying arses, for the most part, to jail.  What will make everyone happy? Nothing.

Now is blessed, the rest remembered.
OregonAunty

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 06:32:03 AM »

How come they waited so long to "salvage" ????   That in itself is pretty odd, imo.  When someone salvage's something from somekind of disaster, don't they do it immediately after the disaster?

Feed the babies, Who don't have enough to eat
Shoe the children, With no shoes on their feet

~Live Aloha~
Monkey Farmer

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 09:11:43 AM »

Because the environmentalists have tied it up in litigation and appeals.  Everything has to have all these environmental impact studies, you have to get a permit to fart in Ashland. The timber industry would have gladly been in there right after the fire, but they've been blocked. That's what they've been saying the last few years "The wood is rotting, the longer we wait, the worse it gets." It's just a joke to me that it's so politically uncorrect to be at all in favor of logging, but we all need wood products. I've been here since the 70's, when wood was everything, now they've taken away our income, and make decisions FOR US from San Francisco and Massachusettes. None of it makes any sense to me.

cj_joe

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 04:51:13 PM »

The environmentalists have filed lawsuits in two areas.

1. When Forest Service employees said that the Forest Service was breaking their own rules by allowing the loggers to mark the trees.  It was as if the FS wanted a lawsuit.
2. After everyone in the community had agreed to a plan, the Forest Service got orders from above to increase the cut by several times.  They are cutting in places that are reserved under the Northwest Forest Plan...again something the community agreed to.

There has been "salvage" going on in several areas that were designated for harvest and were safety was a concern...without lawsuits.  There are several documented cases were the logging companies have abused these cuts (cutting green trees, cutting from wilderness areas.)  

The concern that I have is the fact that folks from Roseberg are making money and destroying a resource that I could have used forever--for tourism--without detroying it.  Now I have one less place to send my guests and our community has nothing to show for it.
Monkey Farmer

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 02:27:35 AM »

It's too bad dollar signs can be so blinding sometimes.  I still can't understand why, out of a half million affected acres, they are choosing to log so close to a community. All it does is dig up old wounds. IV suffered plenty from the fire, they could do without this mess.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: