Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /hermes/bosnaweb11a/b2191/ipw.cavejunc/public_html/bboard/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Why would somebody want to retire in Cave Junction?
   Google Site Search

I.V. Community Forum
December 18, 2017, 12:02:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: For those who had problems using the spell checker, it is now working properly again.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why would somebody want to retire in Cave Junction?  (Read 13949 times)
mdvaden

« on: November 09, 2006, 06:30:32 PM »

While here, I was reading some posts - old ones certainly.

Some mentioned business questions, and one about retirement.

Why would somebody want to retire in Cave Junction?

What in the area would appeal to people, that might be more attractive than say, Grants Pass, Wilderville, Smith River, Merlin, Etc.?

Climate? People? Land cost?

I know that the stores and businesses are limited, so something must be attracting people to the town.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon
www.mdvaden.com

Albums Page
www.mdvaden.com/gallery1.shtml

Admin
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 07:16:33 AM »

What attracted me was a quiet lifestyle in a natural environment. Land was a bargain when I first came here, but not so much anymore. The nation wide housing boom spurred by ultra low interest rates played a big role in the expansion of this area along with all of Southern Oregon. For now that seems to be over. I think the housing bust still has a ways to go before it runs it's course, but what do I know? These things are hard to predict.
mdvaden

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 01:23:41 PM »

I can see that the area is small enough for a quiet lifestyle. Maybe one step too quiet for me, but that's mainly because I lived in west Portland suburb of Beaverton since 1963.

So coming to Ruch / Jacksoville by Medford is about as quiet as I can take for now.

The area of Cave Junction has some nice looking hills. There's nice feel to the town as I drive in there on my way to the Redwoods.

Maybe your city is located far enough out that it can be preserved from large expansion in the future.

Beaverton used to be just 9000 people when I was a child, and mostly rural, but it's border to border city now, nearing 80,000 population.

There's not replacement for a small country town.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon
www.mdvaden.com

Albums Page
www.mdvaden.com/gallery1.shtml

Sharloch

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 04:11:32 AM »

My reasoning is that I would hope for the following:

- no very rich people run the town, rich people screwed up this country enough -from the Federal Reserve Act of 1913 fraught to the Bush administration, the ordinary people that built this country are now taking a big hit thanks to them

- healthy environment - no pollution, no toxic "supersite", no military installations, nature all around, several national parks and monuments in day's reach

- good climate - enough precipitation, abundant water supply, no climatic continental extremes, may be a good place to survive global warming, proximity to the ocean that moderates the climate

- can grow local food if necessary

gemgal

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 11:07:39 AM »

Hello!
We are retired and in our 50s&60s currently WAY OUT in eastern Oregon. We've got "slow,quiet and no pollution" already but also no diversity or culture! I want a garden too-can't do it at 5000 ft with 60 growing days! laugh

Could someone talk about how LIFE  is in your area for no-kids, reclusive retirees with enough money to get by? We'd be outside of your town about 5-10 miles on acrage.I've liked several places I've searched online as far as real estate.

Is the crime out in the woods as bad everything this forum says about town?  Here we don't even locks doors.   We'd just go to town for dentist,supplies, events and commeraderie....   There hasn't been enough discussion on this thread to give retirees a good enough picture! But unlike the guy who started this thread I'm sure it's not TOO quiet for us!

OH! ALL the homes on online real estate searches are wood heat and we "been there done that" and need EASY heat in winter like propane. Can it be had out of Grants Pass or something? Is there a movie theatre? I was glad to see a NONChristian bookstore on the business list and several arts/crafts and antique places-That's our type of entertainment! Are there any "hang outs" for aging bohemian types? We are sick-to-death of "country" themes and no ethnicity.

Tell us more about your area pertaining to retirees that are ex-hippie FOR PEACE types! We expect to be outnumbered but want to be allowed to be ourselves!  THANK YOU!    gemgal
Admin
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 06:39:19 PM »

I you haven't checked out wikipedia about Cave Junction it's worth a look.
gemgal

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 07:27:37 PM »

Hey Admin-thanks for acknowledging my post!
Yeah I read all that first,and discovered I'd been drinking wine from there too!(2004 Blue Moon Merlot has been my FAVE for 4 months and my source just ran out) Then I came here to the forum to see what people are Really like! grin  We will probably travel to your area to check things out this summer. I know "in person" is the ONLY way to find out anything about how a place Really feels! It would take us a year or two to move anyway. I just have "cabin fever" buried out here in the snow these days!  rolleyes      Later!.....
Admin
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 06:59:22 AM »

There's plenty of hippies and ex-hippies out here, my guess, you'll fit right in  smiley
gemgal

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 09:32:40 AM »

I do like your wizard picture   grin   and the fact that a real estate agent calls himself kokopelli is way-cool too!    toast    There is nobody and I mean nobody but us "like that" within 80 miles out here!!!  Namaste'
CJ Resident
Veteran

wtf?

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 05:21:52 PM »

OK. I'm not retired but it's not that far off.

My Significant Smother and I moved to CJ almost 5 years ago. The #1 reason was affordable housing was not available in MFR or Grants Pass (thank you CA Cotton Tops). #2 reason was that only 1 other person with the same workplace lived here. It has been up to 5 but is now back to just 3. I can walk the streets, visit any local business or sit on the corner for as long as I want and not see anyone I work with, except my Significant Smother.

Our daily commute is a total of 104 miles. Yes we live in CJ and work in Central Point. The drive is not bad at all at 5AM and in the last, almost, 5 years we have only had physical contact with 1 Bambi look alike (that's why you have full coverage)(Hey, I think we are of the few that live around here and actually have licenses and insurance.). The commute home is sometimes less than good. All the Cotton Tops driving 30 mph on the Parkway, where the speed limit is 45mph, and such. But we've managed.

I'm aways over 50 and ride a sport quad (Suzuki LT-Z400) and enjoy the fact that I only need to trailer my quad a few miles in any direction and be out where I can spend the day in the woods. For those retired folks that have ATV's this is a great area to explore. You can ride the roads and trails for days and not see anyone else. BUT, gemgal raised the question of crime in the woods. Yes there is crime in the woods.
1: You need to stay on the logging/fire roads during certain times of the year so as to not end up in someones growing area and deal with armed growers. (I do carry a 9mm AT ALL TIMES because if some JA shoots at me I'm going to shoot back. And I practice on a regular basis and have to say that I'm a pretty good shot. Even with moving targets.) Consider getting a CWP and learn how to use your weapon.)
2: If you own a Toyota Pickup (as I do) you need to watch out for some local (Kerby) JA named Ferdinand, or something like that, that is a know Toyota pickup thief. Funny how all of the locals know this but he is still walking the streets. Oh, that's right, he's got rights.
3: If you park on the side of a logging road, or even a paved road. Kerby Mainline is notorious for this. Expect that at some point in time one of the local fecesheads will vandalize your vehicle. No good reason for it, they're just board rednecks and seem to think it makes them some type of local hero.

Crime in the woods. A couple of months ago some local rocket scientists removed FIVE MILES of fiber optic cable from poles within the Oregon Caves National Monument. These dumb posteriors thought they were stealing copper cable. You see many of the locals are not well egamacated and to them plastic must have looked a lot like copper. Who'd a thunk it. Now the Monument is left without communications and other necessary services and with all the money going to fund the invasion of Iraq they can't afford the 1 million dollar + (this may be slightly higher or lower as I can't remember what was in the paper regarding this issue) replacement cost.

Fire Department. We have a pretty good volunteer fire department that I have yet to hear any complaints about. Below the TOP level that is. In tonight's paper there is a blurb about a tax levy the Fire Chief is asking for that would add an additional $205 per year to my taxes. The article states "Additionally, the move could result in reduced insurance premiums for property owners." I've posed this question to my insurance company in an email and await the answer. If it doesn't save me $205 per year on my insurance premiums I'm not going to vote for it.

Police. What police? If the above levy was for police, contracted, local or otherwise and I knew it was going for this purpose, I would vote FOR it. The city of CJ has long been overpaying it's former police force, all retired back in the 80's(?) and this is one reason the city has no money now. The over paid retiree's retirement "wages" are based on a bygone era of logging income and federal welfare payments (O and C funds) that some just can't let go of. GET A JOB and leave the welfare for those popping out puppy's like there's no tomorrow.

Police again. The current sheriff has proposed a levy and if the money would go to the Sheriffs department and bypass the good-ol-boy county commissioners who can't seem to balance a budget, without an anal load of unnecessary spending, I would vote for that. Meanwhile I just have to rely on my Glock for protection.

Good things coming? Several months ago I was in Albertson's in GP and a couple of the checkers were talking about how they would like to be working closer to home (CJ) and that they had been advised that the chain was considering building in CJ. Hmmm. The mayor claimed, in the local fish wrapper, to not know anything about this. Also heard that an ARCO AM/PM was going in near the Golf Course. This would be a good thing in that it might force the local monopolies to lower their prices (+ up to .40 over GP) but I don't use crap fuel in my vehicles. With my commute I can't afford to use junk fuel. I haven't driven 160k, at 33 mpg, in my vehicle, without a single problem, by being cheap. One of the premier cardiac care facilities on the west coast is in MFR (good to know if you are old enough to retire)

gemgal asked, Is there a movie theatre? No, it's now an auto parts store and ? The back portion was supposed to be a church, a strip club and who knows what else. Most recently a flooring store, now moving to the CJ Airport.
R.e; Propane availability. Yes propane is available. I switched to pellets as the last time I had my propane tank filled it was $3.95 per gallon and has gone above $4.00 since. A couple of years ago my propane water heater died and I replaced it with electric and have saved money there. Also purchased a 100# tank that I can take to the local tire store (cheaper than the filling station) and have filled for less than almost half the cost per gallon of delivery.

There was more, but I timed out and lost it. It was some good things about CJ. Maybe tomorrow as I need to get up in less than 7 hours to go to work.

When seconds matter, the police are only minutes away.
CJ Resident
Veteran

wtf?

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 02:20:19 PM »

The good:
Second Friday Art Night. I'm not sure how long it runs but you can see and, hopefully for them, purchase the work of local artisans, meet shop owners, neighbors, etc.
Barter Fair. That's the one for the "hippies" wanting to get back to their beginnings.
Several GREAT wineries. Designate a driver!
Labor Day Festival. So/so until this last year when they started the Tuff Truck competition.
Local car show. Big car shows in GP and MFR every year. So you can get ideas for that pile of steel you've been moving around the garages for the last 25 years.
IV Garden Club. Learn what does/doesn't grow here and when.
Active Senior Center. Bingo!
IV Grange. Bingo! and Sunday Breakfast two weekends per month. Just make sure the french toast is completely cooked. Don't ask.
Various parades, Christmas tree lighting.
Miles and miles of logging/fire roads, hiking, ATV and equestrian trails to explore. Kalmiopsis Wilderness, Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park (CA), Smith River NRA, Oregon Dunes NRA, McGrew Trail. All within a couple of hours to a few hours drive.
River rafting. Illinois River, Rogue River. Again all within minimal driving distance.
Crater Lake.
The OREGON COAST!
People come from all over the world to see what we live within a few short miles (longer with the increasing fuel prices) of. Whale watching, glass float collecting, driftwood collecting, beach combing in general. Just sitting in the sand and listening to the waves lapping on the beach.
As stated in my previous post. MFR has one of the premier cardiac units on the west coast. Medical facilities and care at the hospital in GP is top of the line.
Illinois River Valley Arts Council for the budding or professional artist.
Croaky can be had at a couple of places in town.
Prime Rib EVERY NIGHT OF THE WEEK at the Red Garter Saloon. No waiting for days to have what you really want for dinner.
(I do need to say here that there is only one restaurant in town I will eat at. I've eaten at all of them but have yet to be impressed by any one of them.)(The best breakfast to be had is at the Grange and that's only twice a month.)
My Significant Smother says I have to mention the local Quilting shop, with supplies and classes. There, that's done. She doesn't quilt, what was that all about?
There is a building supply store in the process of building on the north end of town so it will be unnecessary to go to GP to get the things you need.
And there is that Cave place 20 or so miles up the road. Cool place to hang out in the summer.

If you are over 50 and can't find something to do around here, well, you're a pretty boaring person to begin with.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 02:54:32 PM by CJ Resident » Logged

When seconds matter, the police are only minutes away.
gemgal

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 09:03:24 AM »

WOW! Thanks for all that ,"CJ Resident" ...nice to hear more!

Too bad about the movie theater but here we have to go 25 miles so I just wondered. Probably good news about the propane since we have experience with it,thanks.  DANG! I was just gonna upgrade to a Toyota truck too undecided I wonder if we leave our dogs in the truck it'd do the trick...I guess we better get a pup and train him to Pretend to be vicious ! If that dude is an efficient robber he probaby carries hamburger though...   laugh

We've lived near towns with no cops for 2 decades and 1 decade with no doctor or dentist nearby. I'm not worried too much about the "guards" in the woods.We'd only go where there are roads and rivers and erosion anyway(looking for rocks or fishing). My husband is a Vietnam Veteran and although he'd have Rather been a Hippie, he does own a gun. We have the universal rural stuff here,like car show,quilting and bingo too;your OTHER kinds of CJ options sound wonderfully refreshing though! The eastern Oregon arts and tourist area is Wallowa county but it's outpriced us real estate-wise and we've both "been there done that". It sounds quite a bit like your area though but you've got The Ocean!(and gardening!) Yeah we miss it!
What I meant by crime was mostly Home robberies in the outlying areas.That sort of thing, but you said a LOT to me and I really appreciate it ! There is nothing as real as "insider" information!  Well, we're comin to visit this summer and support your tourist economy to start! grin  Many thanx!  gemgal
Buster

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 11:50:25 AM »

Well, not retiring but moving to Selma.

Getting off of the "hamster wheel" of life here in the bay area.  If the house doesn't sell by August, the wife and kid are going first so he can start at IVHS.  I'll be a road warrior for a time I suppose.
Enjoyed reading all of the posts, and am looking forward to more.

B
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: