Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /hermes/bosnaweb11a/b2191/ipw.cavejunc/public_html/bboard/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
What do you like about the Valley
   Google Site Search

I.V. Community Forum
October 17, 2017, 01:55:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: For those who had problems using the spell checker, it is now working properly again.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you like about the Valley  (Read 10815 times)
Mike
« on: August 15, 2005, 05:03:10 PM »

I read the posts written by local people and they all seem to be very nagative. What do you like about the valley? What brought you here? Why do you stay? Just wondering?
OregonAunty

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 02:46:46 AM »

The Valley is a beautiful place to live.  Not only beautiful, but inexpensive.  

As I understand that you are reading posts that seem very negative, perhaps it is because we are discussing issues that concern us within our community.  

A.) There isnt an upside about people not being responsible pet owners B.) There isnt an upside about high risk drivers with road rage
C.) There isnt an upside to the lack of much needed public transporation system.

While there are many good qualities about living around here, there is an almost equal amount of crap that goes on too.  Thus we discuss them, letting eachother know we are not alone in the journey to make our home a better place by raising awarness and also letting eachother know about events that goes on to benefit the community.

I am sorry to say, that while we do live in a beautiful area, it is also inexpensive and it doesnt take much to live on around here. Thus attracting many "undesireables".  

While I am not predjudiced about how people choose to live, I do feel this way... "live how you want to, as long as it does not infringe upon your neighbor"  When someones personal issues, baggage, habits and irresponsiblity infringes upon me, my family, my neighbors, and our community, that becomes a problem for us all.  

Do something about it? I do, I do a lot of volunteer work for non-profit agencies in our immediate community.  

I am aware of the issues that goes on around our community and I also do the best I can to live in the solution, not the problem and help make things right.

Feed the babies, Who don't have enough to eat
Shoe the children, With no shoes on their feet

~Live Aloha~
Billy

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 01:35:23 PM »

I loved the Valley when I was a kid.  It was a great place for kids back then.  Of course that was in the early 50's, before television, video games and all of the rest of the crap that kids have today.

We played outside from early morning till dark in the summers.  We hiked, explored, walked everywhere and never had to worry about anyone bothering us.

Fireworks were legal then, and i remember vividly my brother and I having $40.00 to spend on them for the 4th of July (that's roughly like having about $600 today).

There used to be outdoor dances at least once a month in the spring, summer and fall.

I learned to swim in the west fork of the Illinois River.  No pools then (and we wouldn't have used one it there had been one).

Rainy days, we played Monopoly, or listened to the old radio dramas.

The entire economy was based on logging.  If the woods weren't working, the money was tight.  Some money from tourists in the summer, but that was minimal.

I have a postcard of my mother walking dow the street, with her two Doberman dogs flanking her.  The photographer just happened to be in town, and snapped her, and sold hundreds (if not thousands) of that card.  I had to pay $9.00 on E-Bay to get a copy.

Yes, the Illinois Valley was a very good place for kids back then.
seavla

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 03:09:01 PM »

I can tell you I know one of the posters and she is a very unhappy person without a kind word to say about anything. I am a very upbeat and happy person I am very upset with the way some are painting my town...We have some of the best people and cleanest living I have ever seen. We have the same homeless problem as any other town in america We just know there names. as for the drugs yea we have that to I know they were worse in Medford.
Billy

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 09:05:13 AM »

Do kids still swim in the Illinois River?

Is there still a canal that goes through the west edge of the town?  There used to be a slaughterhouse located on that canal (no, they didn't dump into it).

Do kids still explore the woods?

Do they still go frogging (we used to go frogging on an area west of 199, across from what became the Woodland Deer Park).

Is the old suspension foot bridge still there?  Do people hike around that area?

We had drunks in 1950, when I moved to C.V.  We had all kinds of characters, just like you do today. 

My mother was one of the characters, owning the only tavern in town (and the local gambling concession until a reform sheriff was elected).  She was married to a man named Peck when we moved there, married a man named Lee Douglas, and then a man named B.E. Tabor.  She drank way too much.  Talk about a town character, back in those days, that was really BAD!  Unfortunately, we kids all got tarred by her reputation.

We had teachers that actually taught.  I remember, in 3rd grade in Kerby, our teacher (a male), told us that we would all see men walking on the moon within 25 years.  That was the 1951-52 school year, not too bad a prediction.  Each and every one of the kids in that class could read, by the way.

It's funny, but we only lived in Cave Junction from about June 1950-August 1952, yet I still think of Cave Junction as one of the best places I have ever lived.  I have been back, several times, and it is still a beautiful place.  You just have to look beyond the "crap", and find the really good stuff.

OregonAunty seems to be hung up on the "crap".  It has always existed, you just have to learn to live your life on your own terms, and ignore it.  If you don't, you will only get bitter.
OregonAunty

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 03:04:10 PM »

The topic of this thread was brought up because there were a lot of negative threads on this bulletin board, many residents talking in general about the issues our community faces. 

I read and reread my post, and I apologize if it seems that I was "talking crap" or "hung up on crap" about "YOUR" town.  It seemed clear to me that I gave a positive balance for everything I said in my post, because I do love living here. I chose to be here, bought a house here, raised my very successful children here, my daughter is off to UofO and my son a successful athlete and working senior student at IVHS. Both my husband and I are employed FULL TIME right here in CAVE JUNCTION, I CHOSE a career in human services because I WANT to give back, My husband CHOSE a company helping build close to home, helping our community grow. We do our shopping here and attend every event the community has to offer in support of our community and we enjoy ourselves and our lives.

We are not people who are well off, or have a lot of money, we scrape by just like everyone else... but you know what else we do? We give. We give our time to our community to help make it an even better place, we give our money to our community to help make it a better place, and we give 110% our hearts into making this Valley our home.

As I read my post again, I thought it was clear in my statement that I loved this community, and what I didn't like it, I did and do what I can to make it a better place for my family and everyone else. 

While, I know what I love about the Valley, what I don't know is, besides the obvious what people b!tch about. Knowledge is power and even one person can make the change for a positive, one person is sometimes all it takes.  Living in the Solution.  It isn't because I am "hung up on crap" & I am sorry it came off that way.

I apologize for the misunderstanding and maybe now that you got a little more information about me and my stand point, you may want to read my post again with some new light it may read different.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 03:32:26 PM by OregonAunty » Logged

Feed the babies, Who don't have enough to eat
Shoe the children, With no shoes on their feet

~Live Aloha~
poodlenuts

Dorkus Maximus

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 07:41:26 AM »

I have a postcard of my mother walking dow the street, with her two Doberman dogs flanking her.  The photographer just happened to be in town, and snapped her, and sold hundreds (if not thousands) of that card.  I had to pay $9.00 on E-Bay to get a copy.

sounds like a neat picture, could you post it for everyone to see  smiley

LenLigmaH

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 11:40:35 AM »

In 1974, I moved from the bay area to Selma--quite a contrast from the fast lane living.  I was a typical city slicker with little knowledge on country living.  I adapted well, and the freedom from city traffic, tacky suburban housing tracts, smog, and living with little purpose but to cope with the likes, was a grand trade off!

I love the quaintness of the Illinois Valley.  I still stand in awe of our beautiful night sky, sparkling with stars and the prominent misty swath of the milky milk.  I love the diversity of the people too, and how everyone can just do their own thing.  I have no prejudice towards different life styles, and have no problem with anyone, unless they bring threat to me, or mine, or the community.  Eating establishments are plentiful.  Cave Junction boasts fine Mexican and Chinese food, great pizza and burgers, and even a subway!

Drug and alcohol use is everywhere, as well as crime or unsavory practices.  I actually think the "valley" does quite well for itself in these types of incidents.

Yep, I think the valley is a beautiful place to live, relax and play in.
billy-bob
Guru

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 10:06:38 AM »

AMEN to that, I really like your post.  Welcome.

GOD , I'm still here!
I.M.E.
Veteran

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 06:04:51 AM »

I moved here 4 years ago from So. CA.  What I love about the valley is looking out any of my windows and seeing nothing but trees.  I love:  rarely hearing my neighbors, shopping in stores where people know me, living around people who are not pretending to be somebody else, meeting people who's first question is NOT what do you do for a living, driving 55 mph rather than 15 mph, enough snow in the winter and heat in the summer to enjoy without it becoming a burden, low property tax (relative to So. CA).  My impression is  shocked huh cool but mostly  laugh
poodlenuts

Dorkus Maximus

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 06:27:03 AM »

I came from the bay area as well lived there for over 30 years.as a kid I dreamed of living on a farm in a small town where everyone knew each other. Im living that dream now, cave junction is an awesome place. Ive never been happier and would move here again.

as for the 8 or so street people who cares  laugh the one's running the show and calling the shots is who we all should be worried about.  

but then again , Im from California so what the hell do know    angel
great town and even greater people  toast

SELMA_GIRL!

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 07:46:02 PM »

what do i like or should i say love about the valley. well i was born and raised down there! i now live in Springfield Oregon and up here is way different then down there! here you hear your neighbors and all the stuff that goes with them. down there you don't really hear your neighbors and if you need to go to the hills and just yell or let off some steam no one will really hear you! i love knowing that if you need something there are still some good hearted people who will help you out!! i love little country stores! here we don't really have that!! GOD I MISS THE VALLEY!! CANT WAIT TO COME HOME!!!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: