Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /hermes/bosnaweb11a/b2191/ipw.cavejunc/public_html/bboard/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Dining experience!
   Google Site Search

I.V. Community Forum
December 17, 2017, 08:24:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: For those who had problems using the spell checker, it is now working properly again.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dining experience!  (Read 7586 times)
LenLigmaH

« on: August 12, 2008, 12:29:21 PM »

I just have to share this.  I can't help but think it will generate some interesting replies. 

My mom and I decided to dine out the other evening--at one of our local CJ restaurants.  When we were seated, almost immediately a pesky fly begins to annoy us--one of those persistent types.  We both start doing the waving/swatting routine that an annoying fly promotes.  This fly won’t quit trying to land on us or our table and at some point we stop a waitress, express our dilemma, and ask do they have a fly swatter.  She quickly returns with one.  Ahh, we think, we will put an end to this situation.  It took me a bit of time and tries to nail this sucker, but when I got him, another took his place. 

As our food arrived, a couple of flies followed the waiter, and I could see one on my plate.  ! made shooing gestures with the fly swatter (a red one at that) and some remark about our aggravation.  “Good,” the waiter says cheerfully, “eat ‘em.” 

Throughout our entire meal, I held and swung the fly swatter, making loud smacking noises against anything I hit.  And, my mom flailed her arms about trying to keep flies off us and our food.  Also, the two of us became quite verbal, with, “Here‘s another one!“ and, “Did you get him?”  At one point, in my frantic swinging and batting, I even manage to knock the cap off my head--and that really pissed me off! 

Now, here's a strange element to add to the picture.  There were people dining in very close proximity to us--across from, to the side, behind, and in front.  All the while, not one of them, including waiters or waitresses, showed any notice, interest or concern, for our unusual (we thought,) restaurant behavior.  If anything, how could the scene not of looked somewhat hilarious?

At the end of our meal, we had one dead fly on the floor and three smashed--legs up,-guts out--carcasses on our table.  Mom removed one with the swipe of a napkin.  I told her to leave the two others lay.  As we were walking out, I asked a woman behind us if she wanted the fly swatter.  She looked at me oddly, and asked, “Did you bring that?”  I tell you, the whole thing was like a total TWILIGHT ZONE! 

It will be a long while before we return--maybe only in the winter months when fly population is down.  I can't help but wonder what this business's kitchen practices are concerning these disgusting creatures.  How embarrassing had we taken visitors there, after playing up what a great place it was.  Despite the grossness of the situation, we laugh till we cry, when replaying it.  We thought it a bizarre situation.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 08:03:24 PM by LenLigmaH » Logged
I.M.E.
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 04:07:32 AM »

Your table was the only one with flies.  Any idea why?
LenLigmaH

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 06:10:39 AM »

We wondered about that too.  My mom gets gets cold under AC.  We took a table with the least amount of draft--could of been that. 
billy-bob
Guru

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 07:00:45 PM »

Things do have a way of happening, like the other day, I saw a mouse beating feet through the door at Shop Smart and heading right for the grain.

GOD , I'm still here!
poodlenuts

Dorkus Maximus

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 01:56:26 AM »

coming to a restaurant near you  laugh

billy-bob
Guru

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 10:35:22 AM »

WOW, that looks like the MREs we had in survival training.

GOD , I'm still here!
Kokopelli

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 06:55:32 AM »

Are/were you suggesting that the restaurant wasn't clean? Or that their sanitary standards were inadequate?  If so, we still do have a health department. I say still but the way things are going, that along with all the other parts of government people don't seem to like/want to financially support, can go away without adequate funding. 

This is the country. Not a city. Flies/insects and rodents are just a part of country living. It is virtually impossible to keep them out this time of year without the miles and miles of concrete big cities provide or heavy use of chemicals. Even then many places still have problems with rats.

One of our local restaurants has fly paper strips hanging from the ceiling. Other options are chemicals which I would prefer not to have to eat and breath.

I know that flies are annoying but much of the rest of the world lives with conditions much worse. The US has been on the road to devolve our civilized standards to much lower levels so that we are equal to others in the world. That means you should get use to flies. Isn't Globalization going to be nice!

LenLigmaH

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 09:49:24 AM »

WOW!  I was not prepared for the over all serious and near hostile responses my post generated.  I have to conclude my presentation failed to produce the true intent of my post, which was frustration & humor.  So, having said that, allow me to get serious and near hostile.     

Since I have lived many years in this valley--quite remotely at times--I am neither ignorant or stupid on cohabitation with flies, mice, tomato horn worms, bald-faced hornets, rats, skunks, etc.  But, this in no way means that I will willingly share my plate of food with flies, or contentedly allow mice to chew holes in my grain sacks, or accommodate skunks to bunk down under my house.  Furthermore, I can't imagine that if I owned and operated an eating establishment I would not take ultimate environment safe measures to try and control common pests, and assuredly, at the least, give a sincere apology should I witness any customer having an extremely difficult time eating the food they were so dearly paying for.  Communications breakdown!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:51:15 AM by LenLigmaH » Logged
billy-bob
Guru

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 04:04:33 PM »

I remember all of the deli's I used to frequent in the old days always had ceiling fans and not mant flies.  Even in Europe I noticed that too.  Sometimes people on this board seem to be a little testy, but they are really just trying to help in the best way they know how.

GOD , I'm still here!
I.M.E.
Veteran

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 04:48:12 AM »

Different types of bugs in different times of the year.  No matter how clean my place is, I've got some bugs.  That's one of the nice things about winter, no bugs.  I find spider webs the most annoying.  All the restaurants seem fine to me.  Just wish I could find an Indian restaurant...
billy-bob
Guru

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 06:36:47 AM »

Far East or Native American.

GOD , I'm still here!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: