Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /hermes/bosnaweb11a/b2191/ipw.cavejunc/public_html/bboard/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Cavenet VS Frontier
   Google Site Search

I.V. Community Forum
December 18, 2017, 09:35:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: For those who had problems using the spell checker, it is now working properly again.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cavenet VS Frontier  (Read 6895 times)
Buster

« on: June 06, 2008, 04:48:12 PM »

Any suggestions?

Thanks

B
Admin
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 02:26:04 AM »

If you're talking broadband.

Cavenet:
wireless service
$250 upfront lifetime lease for the equipment
No phone line required
512Kb per second download speed
$50 per month
http://www.cavenet.com/wireless.asp

Frontier:
dsl
1Mb per second download speed - around $55 per month
256Kb per second download speed - around $45 per month
phone line required at additional cost
might be a one time installation charge around $20 or so?
http://www.frontieronline.com/category.aspx?type=1&c=28
CJ Resident
Veteran

wtf?

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 12:27:16 AM »

It's been a while since I've checked but it used to be that for the Cavenet wireless you needed to be line-of-sight with one of the antennas where Cavenet has their repeaters(?). I'm not so I couldn't do that.
When we first moved here I went with Cavenet dialup, because I'm cheap and didn't want to pay the extra money for DSL. After school and on the weekends it was slower than our president. I ended up with Frontier DSL, I already had a land line so it wasn't that big a deal. Current 1mb DSL, with land line, is $58 mo. The Frontier connection comes out of Myrtle Creek so if they have power issues, and we don't, there is no connection. In three years I think this has happened four times.
There are also several satelite services available (Clearview, Dish, Direct). I don't know the costs (Dish and Direct are up there for equipment) but I do know that it's just like sat TV, if the clouds are unusually thick there is no signal. And then, in our neighborhood, there is a little redheaded woodpecker (Woody) who gets on the sat dish, blocking the signal, and pecks away until you go out and chase him away. Then he comes back the next day and the cycle starts all over again.

When seconds matter, the police are only minutes away.
Admin
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 02:56:44 AM »

Cavenet now has a  non line of sight service. Frontier sometimes has some sort of promotional offer that cuts a few bucks off the price and can last up to a couple of years.
Buster

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 04:19:09 AM »

Thanks for replying.
I think they (Cavenet) were telling me line of site of 8 dollar Mtn.  Which I have, eh, maybe a couple of trees in the way........
When power was brought in to my property, "they" Pacific Power, ( I wasn't there) didn't include the phone line when they trenched.   angry  Even though it was right there coiled up.
Now I have to re-trench to get a phone line put in. 
So much yet to be done before the move...........

B
Admin
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 07:22:11 AM »

What cavenet means by their "non line of sight service" is you still have to be in the the line of sight but now it's ok if "some" trees are in the way. Too many trees could cause problems.
billy-bob
Guru

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 07:34:56 AM »

Trees seem to be causing a lot of problems now days.  Actually, it took me almos a full hour to actually talk to an actual person from Frontier the other day.

GOD , I'm still here!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: