Google Site Search

I.V. Community Forum
October 21, 2014, 05:41:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: For those who had problems using the spell checker, it is now working properly again.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ATV riding areas around Takilma or close by.  (Read 5942 times)
drormsby

« on: May 12, 2008, 09:32:06 AM »

huh I am looking for some easy riding ATV areas for mid August.  Trails or dirt roads would be fine.  I just don't know where it is legal to ride.  Close to the Takilma area or around Cave Junction/O'Brien would be really nice.  Thanks, Dan   grin
poodlenuts

Dorkus Maximus

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:35:03 AM »

I see them all the time on the logging roads just not sure if its ok .

try here   cool

http://www.oregonohv.org/

http://www.oohva.org/pages/map.html

hope that helps,ride safe and have fun  cool

drormsby

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 04:44:22 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  If anyone knows where I can ride legally it would help me a lot.  Thanks, Dan
CJ Resident
Veteran

wtf?

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 06:36:27 AM »

Come August you will need to check locally on the fire danger. By then all of the trails are usually closed and you would need to stick with the logging/fire roads on state, BLM and NFS lands.

Legally I'm not sure about whether or not an ATV Permit would be required, but for $10.50 at D.O.P.E., and other fine establishments, it's good insurance against a fine that I'm sure would be much more.

State requirements are that you possess a valid driver's license (if you're not a local you probably have one) OR an ATV operator permit showing completion of an ATV safety course OR be accompanied by a person 18 or older that has a license or ATV operators permit. These requirements vary slightly, depending upon who the land belongs to, but they are all pretty close to the same. Riding on pavement is an entirely different thing so I would suggest limiting that activity.

I don't have much experience in the Takilma and/or O'Brien areas but there are plenty of riding opportunities, roads and trails off of Kerby Mainline, Grayback Road and Bear Creek Road. The latter seem to have less of a vandal problem. I've been told that there is a good selection of riding off of Lone Mountain Road, out of O'Brien, but with working in Central Point 6 days per week I haven't had much opportunity to ride this year. Will probably get laid off or hours cut back just about the time they close all of the trails.

For up to date local information you can check with the people at D.O.P.E., 541-592-3416, and maybe also the people at Oregon's Best Motorsports, 541-955-6456.

When seconds matter, the police are only minutes away.
drormsby

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 08:47:12 AM »

Thanks for the advice and info.  Dan
poodlenuts

Dorkus Maximus

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 04:28:46 AM »

you guys and your atv's are more then welcome to join us on our McGrew trail ride Saturday,  cool 

CJ Resident
Veteran

wtf?

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 12:14:29 AM »

Thanks for the invite! But I'll be working and my quad has been lowered so, even with the full skid plate coverage, it wouldn't get too far in those rocks.

poodlenuts

Dorkus Maximus

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 03:16:29 AM »

If you ever want to ride on a sunday let me know, Wimmer road to smith river is a nice ride its not near as rocky as the Mcgrew . cool

CJ Resident
Veteran

wtf?

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 12:08:21 AM »

Thanks. I most certainly will.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: