Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /hermes/bosnaweb11a/b2191/ipw.cavejunc/public_html/bboard/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
why no talk about
   Google Site Search

I.V. Community Forum
December 17, 2017, 04:20:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: For those who had problems using the spell checker, it is now working properly again.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: why no talk about  (Read 3673 times)
poodlenuts

Dorkus Maximus

« on: November 30, 2007, 05:38:10 AM »

Copeland sand and gravel wanting to dig up the river and farm land on Holland loop and Rockydale are they going to rip our river up like they did on the Applegate huh

Heís calling project ĎOpen Pit Junctioní
From Larry Herman
Cave Junction
Itís strange to wake up to an unfamiliar sound, in a place youíve been living in for more than 17 years. In a little while you realize that there is a full-blown mining operation going on at the old Martin Dairy bordered by Martin and Rockydale roads.
What look like overloaded dump trucks begin to travel down Rockydale with regularity, depositing part of their contents on the road and obstructing the center line between the mining site (Little Elm Ranch) on Rockydale and Barlow Rock, 1.5 miles down the road. The part of Rockydale above Crest Drive is an extremely dangerous blind curve, and anyone entering the road below this point needs to be vigilant of traffic coming out of the void.
It is as if we were invaded by an alien presence, viral or human; itís hard to distinguish the difference. Itís as if terrorists set up shop in our neighborhood.
So Copeland Sand & Gravel/Barlow Rock, and Little Elm Ranch (formerly Martin Dairy), team to get the agricultural zoning changed, to create a wetland. The plan calls for the removal of gravel and rock to a depth of 19 feet, which undermines the ancient riverbed, and is below the present Illinois River.
The hole will be 700 feet long, 33 feet wide, and 19 feet deep. This intrusion went unnoticed; and the residents of the area were given only one-month notice to provide written opinion, by the U.S. Corps of Engineers and the Oregon Dept. of State Lands. I phoned the U.S. Corps of Engineers in Eugene; it is the agency to OK the projectís safety as a wetland.
I asked if it were legal to profit from a wetland? The engineer assured me that there are ways to circumvent the law. I also asked, in the event our wells were compromised, who would be liable: the U.S. Corp of Engineers, the state of Oregon, Little Elm Ranch or Copeland? He told me to send a letter. I did -- and have never received a response.
The U.S. Government doesnít care if a covert activity that is subverting peopleís lives without recourse is taking place in my neighborhood. The Josephine County Planning Commission is hearing a petition from Copeland/Barlow, to change zoning on Holland Loop on a 55-acre piece, from agriculture to aggregate, in order to open pit mine 11.5 acres, that will also be trucked to Barlow Rock on Rockydale.
How many more places in this area will be violated, for greedy purposes with total disregard for inhabitants? Both the Rockydale mine and the Holland Loop mine projects are across the river from each other and approximately 2 miles above the Cave Junction water treatment plant.
How much longer will outside interests be allowed to destroy the environment?
There will be a planning commission meeting on Monday, Nov. 26 in Grants Pass at 7 p.m. This meeting should be rightfully held in Cave Junction, where a large crowd in opposition to the mining would assemble. But it is not in the best interest of Copeland and its hired lawyers and assorted experts to play on a level field.
Only concerned citizens can prevent waking up with a mine in their back yards.

lookinglass

THINK!

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 06:56:15 AM »

It amazes me that the big guy can do so much harm to the other guy who just minds his own business! After I left Cj  in the mid 90's, I knew it wouldn't be long before the stink of greed would creep into the fresh mountain air! I am glad that you are keeping tabs an the stench but its like "too little to late" and the deck is always stacked in the big guys favor. I guess because its his game, his deck of cards in the first place. It is a full time job to be an informed and pro-active citizen these days. i am fortunate enough to live in a area where the local folks place a very high value on green space a clean air. The people have demanded it and some how the politicians hear it. Another blogger on the site says that part of the problem is that only the people who live in the city limits can vote on many of these issues. You have identified the other major issue. The thing is already done(and in Grants Pass!!!) by the time you hear about it. Crap! Pure Crap! People need to wake up and smell a greener economy! And if you dont live there, you shouldnt be allowed to make major business decisions there!

Be the change you want to see in the world.-Ghandi
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: